of the Old Firehouse
Old Firehouse & Police Museum is located in the last of Superiors
turn-of-the-century firehouses. Station No. 4 was built in 1898 as a replacement
for the original East End Firehall, a wooden building, which burned down in
1896. The first floor of the new brick structure housed horses and the equipment
they pulled, including Superiors first steamer, the Charlie OHare.
The men lived on the second floor.
Firefighters pause for a photo behind the firehouse.
the late 1970s the Fire Department and the City of Superior decided
to replace its four aging firehouses with three new buildings, and one by
one the old firehouses were torn down. October 4, 1982 was the last day worked
at Station No. 4. A group of volunteers organized by Leonard Rouse, Sr., whose
son was a firefighter, persuaded the City to preserve Station 4 as a museum.
history of our regions fire and police services is remembered
here in the Old Firehouse & Police Museum. Firefighting equipment
on display on the first floor includes a refurbished 1906 horse drawn
Ahrens steam pumper, a 1944 Mack Fire Engine purchased by the Superior
Fire Department during W.W.II, a 1919 American LaFrance Ladder Truck
used in Ely, Minnesota complete with original ladders, and an early
20th century alarm system.
|Keys to the Superior Fire Departments
brand new 1965 Pirsch Pumpertruck are handed over to the Fire Chief.
Members of the Fire Department plan to restore the Pirsch for display
at the Museum.
is the Captains Room, *Police Exhibit, Wisconsin
Fire & Police Hall of Fame, and a variety of firefighting and police
photos and artifacts that illustrate daily life at the station, history of
the Superior Fire Department and Local #74, and technology that has changed
how fire fighters and police officers do their job.
Police Exhibit is currently under renovation.
|The Sears Building on Tower Avenue
is encased in ice following a fire.
of Wisconsin Fire & Police Hall of Fame has found in newly renovated
quarters at the Old Firehouse & Police Museum. The Hall of Fame joined
the museum in 1998. It was begun in 1996 to commemorate the heroic deeds
and invaluable contributions of firefighters and police officers throughout
|Firefighters battle the blaze during
a famous fire at the Roth Brothers Furniture Store.
Old Firehouse & Police Museum is located at 402 23rd Avenue East, just
two blocks off of Hwy 2/53 in Superior's historic East End business district.
Mid-May through August
Thursday - Saturday, 10am to 5pm and
Sunday 11pm to 5pm
September through mid-October
Saturday 10 - 5 pm and Sunday 12 - 5 pm
The Old Firehouse & Police Museum is open for self-guided tours
during the summer season.
tours for groups are available year-round by appointment.
Please call 715-394-5712
for current hours, group rates, and other admissions information.
Call (715) 394-5712 for information.
Map Courtesy of Yahoo!
mailing address: Superior Public Museums
906 E. Second Street· Superior, WI 54880
Tel: 715-394-5712 Fax: 715-394-2043